Quality Improvement & Patient Safety in Women's Health Care
Look to this page for important resources and announcements of upcoming events designed to help you improve the quality and safety of the midwifery care you provide.
ACNM Normal Physiologic Birth Initiative
- The 2012 Consensus Statement, Supporting Normal and Healthy Physiologic Birth, explicitly identified key benchmarks of safe, healthy, and normal physiologic birth. The ACNM Physiologic Birth Initiative builds on this framework by creating tools to assist maternity care providers, women, policy-makers and payers to protect, promote and support healthy physiologic childbirth and to avoid overuse of interventions, thus achieving better care, better health, and lower costs.
The Consumer Education Subcommittee has produced Normal Healthy Childbirth for Women and Families: What You Need to Know, which was developed to increase consumer awareness of the value of normal, healthy, physiologic birth.
All Standard-Setting Documents and Position Statements can be found in the ACNM Library
Coalition for Quality Maternity Care
- The Coalition for Quality Maternity Care (CQMC) works to establish national strategies to ensure access to affordable, high quality maternity care for all women and infants. CQMC consists of ACNM, 8 other founding organizations, and 10 partnering organizations.
- The Institute for Healthcare Improvement
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), is an independent not-for-profit
organization based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and is a leading innovator in health
and health care improvement worldwide.
- The Commonwealth Fund National Scorecard on US Health System Performance
Created by the Commonwealth Fund Commission on a High Performance Health System, the National Scorecard on US Health System Performance is the first-ever comprehensive means of measuring and monitoring health care outcomes, quality, access, efficiency, and equity in one report.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics
Visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) web page for a CDC fact sheet summarizing NCHS data and key finding on Patient Safety. This resource also provides a link to the National Vital Statistics System, which collects information such as birth and death certificates from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Click here to view the Preliminary Birth Data for 2005.
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
AHRQ manages an online National Patient Safety Network, a comprehensive web resource for providers and patients, providing a collection of selected patient safety news, literature, tools and resources.
Quality indicators are measures that focus on healthcare processes, structures, or outcomes and help to indicate the quality of healthcare. This information can be used to improve care and to prevent adverse outcomes. AHRQ compiles indicators derived from common hospital administrative data. Included in AHRQ's patient safety indicators are national hospital data on birth and obstetric trauma.
- Nursing Alliance for Quality Care (NACQ)
The mission of NACQ is to advance the highest quality, safety, and value of consumer-centered health care for all individuals -- patients, their families, and their communities.